Friday, October 3, 2008

Just the Job for Sarah!

Well, at last night's debate, Sarah Palin surpassed the very low expectations set for her: She did not disintegrate into a steaming pile of shit. In fact, we saw that with sufficient preparation she can stand up in front of a crowd of people and coherently recite talking points about specific issues.

This proves to me that she is qualified to work in the White House -- but not as VP -- more likely as a presidential spokesperson, like Dana Perino.

But they say that her performance will "re-engerize" the Republican base which was slowly, one commentator at a time, starting to realize that she's been an embarrassment. Now they are back to the very odd equation that being able to see Russia from your backyard makes you capable of conducting foreign policy. (I'm excited that I can see the moon from my backyard, so I must be qualified to be an astrophysicist.)

I'm sorry: Being able to repeat rehearsed talking points does not mean you can carefully analyze multiple complex issues and problems, generate strategies to solve those problems, and carefully lead a massive government in implementing those solutions. Not even close.

Sarah needs to go back to Alaska and take back the governor's office which has been commandeered by McCain campaign operatives. It'll be better for the people of Alaska, the U.S., and the world.

2 comments:

mj said...

Right on, brother. She seemed so relived when it was over and proud that she was able to read off her cards so well. While Biden seemed fluid, articulate and very qualified for the role.

Sadly, I don't have much faith in this electorate to see through any of it. These are the same "folks" who gave "W" 8 years to run our country into the ground!

Anonymous said...

I thoroughly enjoyed the VP debates and from now on will make an effort to watch all my news from a bar in the company of 300 American Democrats living abroad. It turns all the pain of watching Sarah Palin (is this woman REALLY running for office?!) into joy and laughter (did she REALLY just say something about protecting women's rights?!).

What bothers me is that the republicans have popularized the idea that we need someone "just like us" in the White House and not some liberal elitist. I'm blown away by the aburdity of such a claim. I sure as hell don't want anyone like ME leading the country. I want someone exceptional, brilliant and experienced to take charge of this floundering nation. PLEASE don't give me a hockey mom or Joe Six Pack!